Deadline: Open until filled.
The Tree Care and Stewardship Program Manager oversees the development and implementation of several community tree care projects each week, including daily management of AmeriCorps service members.
The Program Manager will correspond with City staff and the public on a regular basis. The Program Manager will need to be able to engage, direct, and coach, service members and volunteers, and serve a diverse public. While a certified arborist would be a strong candidate for this position, others who meet the required qualifications listed below are welcome to apply.
Our City Forest (OCF) is a nonprofit urban forestry organization serving the San José area. It provides a broad range of public services such as free shade trees, planting assistance, tree care, educational materials, volunteer training and school programs. OCF seeks welcoming, positive, earth-friendly, employees who enjoy working with people and are enthusiastic about community involvement. Visit www.ourcityforest.org for more information about the organization.
· Manages, trains, and mentors 6 to 8 AmeriCorps service members in tree care and related tasks
· Manage volunteer recruitment and engagement for tree care programs, particularly watering
· Develop work plans related to grant goals and objectives
· Oversees tree care, tree inventory, and tree steward support programs
· Oversee customer service with maintenance requests and requests for technical assistance
· Achieve high response rate for tree steward surveys and oversee collection and analyses of survey data for reports
· Oversee tree health inspections for OCF-planted trees
· Oversee tree installation assessments for unsupervised resident plantings
· Coordinate with responsible agencies to obtain all necessary permits and authorizations
· Ensures adherence to strict standards and best arboricultural practices, as well as safety
· Ensures quality control of related data management systems
· Prepares periodic reports for the above programs and activities for grant tracking
· Meets with agency and community groups to develop project opportunities
· Oversees and advises on organizational project logistics and conducts field site assessments as needed
· Conduct presentations to community groups regarding OCF services
· Successful management experience with volunteers or staff
· Some project management experience
· Experience and strong desire to work with diverse groups of volunteers and community on a grassroots level
· Strong written and oral communication skills
· Valid CA Driver’s License with good DMV record
· Ability to lift 50 lbs and physically demonstrate tree care tasks
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office
· Bilingual in English & Spanish or English & Vietnamese
· ISA Certified Arborist or experience to become certified within 1 year of hire
· Training and/or experience in tree identification, growth, installation and establishment
· Non-profit experience
· 4-year degree related to urban forestry/horticulture/ecology/community engagement
Hours: Full time 40 hrs/week, Tuesday – Saturday
Pay: Negotiable based on experience and arborist certification, if any.
Start Date: Applications taken until position is filled
To Apply: Please e-mail resume with cover letter to: email@example.com
Loren Klick, Program Director, Our City Forest