Deadline: February 28, 2107
Trees Atlanta seeks individuals with experience working with youth (elementary and middle school age) in classroom and outdoor settings in a teaching/coaching role to help with spring and summer Junior TreeKeepers Camps. Our summer day camps are a fun blend of environmental education and lots of outdoor exploration on the Atlanta BeltLine Arboretum. Camp Counselors will bring the program to life for each week of camp.
Summer and Spring Break Counselors will:
• Lead classes and activities of the camp program such as tree ID, orienteering, art, tree planting, invasive removal, and mulching.
• Assist to ensure proper camper to staff ratios.
• Teach environmental lessons (many based on STEM/STEAM principles).
• Organizing materials for lessons.
• Monitor and correct camper behavior as needed.
• Ensure camper safety during indoor and outdoor activities.
• Create positive memories for our budding environmental stewards.
• Supervise camper bike activities
Candidates should meet most of these requirements:
• College graduate or currently matriculated.
• Experience teaching students in 1st – 6th grades (environmental education, science, STEM/STEAM desired).
• Ability to work with students in outdoor setting.
• Experience leading youth summer camps.
• Ability to work collaboratively on a team.
• Able to interact with campers and parents in an empathic, polite manner.
• Experience with time and task management.
• Experience with tree and plant identification, orienteering, and arts & crafts.
• Certified in 1st Aid and CPR, desired.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
• Be available to work Monday through Friday for at least eight hours each day.
• Physically capable of active days outdoors in various weather conditions including: exposure to sun, heat, cold, inclement weather, and insects.
• Must be a confident and safe bike rider.
• Must be physically fit and able to lift up to 25 lbs.
• Early morning and early Evening may be necessary; final schedules will be set upon hire.
• Each camp week requires a 40-hour commitment
You will report to work at 112 Krog Street, #7, Atlanta, GA 30307 and will work in various locations in and around the Atlanta BeltLine, BeltLine Arboretum, and short field trips in the city.
Position: Junior TreeKeepers Camp Counselor
Employment Type: Part-Time/Seasonal
Employment Classification: Non-Exempt
Start Date: June 1, 2017 (mandatory training week: April 3 – 7, 2017)
End Date: July 21, 2017 (July 3 – 7 is an unpaid, non-working week)
Apply by: February 28, 2017 (Roles may fill prior to deadline)
Reports To: Youth Education Coordinator
Compensation: $12.00/hr (40 hr/week)
Please send your cover letter and resume to Colby Lyles email@example.com with “Camp Counselor” in the subject line of your email.