Deadline: October 23, 2017
The communications director at the National Association of State Foresters is responsible for directing the Association’s external and internal communications campaigns, member engagement efforts, and outreach strategies which benefit the nation’s 59 state and territorial forestry agencies. The communications director will report to the executive director and co-manages the communications and policy intern. This position plays a large role in supporting the NASF fall annual business meeting and educational materials e-commerce program, and is the editor-in-chief of all Association publications. NASF is offering a competitive salary commensurate with experience and excellent retirement and health benefits. The communications director is entitled to a professional development fund, opportunity for a weekly telework day, and a monthly cell phone stipend.
Media Relations & Outreach Campaigns
- Work with policy director to develop campaigns, briefing materials, and media opportunities that advance NASF’s legislative priorities;
- Develop media opportunities, respond to media requests, monitor news, build media strategy, contact reporters, and facilitate interviews to promote NASF as the leader in state and private forestry issues;
- Oversee planning for the NASF centennial (2020) campaign and manage conservation education (My Tree—Our Forest®) and wildfire prevention (Smokey Bear) campaigns to align and advance key messages.
Website & Publications
- Serve as editor-in-chief of NASF’s website stateforesters.org and social media platforms; manage and upload content; serve as liaison with NASF’s website consulting firm to develop strategies to increase traffic to the website;
- Publish weekly newsletter and daily social media content to grow digital following on social media channels;
- Develop and publish the NASF annual report, briefing papers, press releases, and other publications that promote NASF members and positions;
- Manage branding efforts and ensure consistent messaging to continue to strengthen the NASF brand; oversee content, budget, and production of all NASF printed and online communication materials;
- Manage a periodic statistics survey of state forestry agencies to gather and publicize unique information that enhances NASF and member value.
Educational Materials Program
- Develop products and implement marketing strategies that promote conservation and wildfire education messages among key customers and stakeholders;
- Implement innovative strategies to increase non-dues revenue for the Association;
- Lead efforts with vendors and consultants to optimize production, manage inventory, and grow sales of educational materials products.
Member Support and Other Responsibilities
- Provide event management, communications oversight, and speech writing support for the NASF Annual Meeting;
- Provide staff support to the NASF awards and cooperative forest fire prevention (CFFP) committees; manage the NASF awards program;
- Recruit, supervise, and mentor interns;
- Manage vendor contracts, project budgets and grant reporting;
- Provide excellent customer service to State Foresters and colleagues;
- Other duties as needed to support a team and small staff environment.
At least five (5) years of experience in a communications or public information role and Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing, or related field. Excellent written and verbal communications skills and ability to provide outstanding customer service. Experience managing vendors and working in traditional and digital media environments. Demonstrated ability to meet multiple deadlines, prioritize projects, and manage websites all while contributing to a small team. Ability to be effective while working remotely and traveling up to 15% of the time.
Knowledge of graphic design, event planning, and a passion for natural resources are preferred.
Please send your resume, one writing sample, and cover letter including salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please. Please use the subject line “Communications Director Position”. Deadline: Applications must be submitted by October 23, 2017. Review of applications will begin after this deadline. The position is scheduled to begin on December 1, 2017.