Deadline: August 15, 2016 or until filled.
The Urban Forest Program Coordinator (UFPC) is a new position with Asheville GreenWorks, a non-profit organization founded in 1973, to enhance the environment and quality of life for all residents in Asheville and Buncombe County through volunteer-led, community-based conservation projects and hands-on environmental education programs. We’re looking for a motivated, enthusiastic, hardworking individual to join our fun-loving, tree-hugging team in “getting dirty for a great cause.”
The UFPC reports to the Asheville GreenWorks Director of Operations and works closely with the City of Asheville’s Office of Sustainability, Streets Division (City Arborist) and Tree Commission. Projects are accomplished through several collaborative partnerships with community based organizations, nonprofits, businesses and government agencies.
Specific duties include but are not limited to the following:
• Coordinate GreenWorks’ Green Communities projects including the establishment and maintenance of trees, community orchards and pollinator plantings
• Manage Tree Keepers, volunteers and interns in the planting, watering and maintenance of community orchards and removal of invasive exotic plant species
• Update the City’s tree inventory for specific locations as identified by the City Arborist
• Develop and facilitate workshops on tree identification and using Open Tree Map mobile app to collect information on street trees.
• Recruit and organize community volunteers to collect information on street trees using Asheville Tree Map mobile app
• Manage intake of applications from community groups and organizations to the City of Asheville Adopt-a-Spot Program for adoption of spaces for the planting of perennials, pollinators, and edibles on public property
• Coordinate activities and events to be held during the annual Pollination Celebration week, the third week of June
Qualifications and Preferences
Working knowledge in personal computer operation and experience in working with Windows programs such as Access, Excel and Word. Undergraduate coursework or life experience in Horticulture/Forestry/Plant Biology desired. Valid North Carolina Driver’s License preferable. Proficiency in GIS is a plus.
• Ability to identify common tree and plant species and invasive plant species (or willingness to learn)
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
• Ability to read a map
• Knowledge of fruiting trees and shrubs and their care (or willingness to learn)
• Ability to work outdoors in inclement weather (heat, cold, rain, etc.)
• Experience recruiting and managing volunteers
• Excellent interpersonal skills
Compensation: $15-17/hour, plus monthly health insurance stipend
Asheville Greenworks provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
Asheville GreenWorks is a Living Wage Certified Employer.
To apply: Send a cover letter expressing your interest in joining the Asheville GreenWorks team this summer. Please include your qualifications, resume, and contact information for 3 personal references to:
PO Box 22
Asheville, NC 28802
Or email to: email@example.com