Deadline: Open until filled.
• Under general supervision, perform advanced professional forestry functions in the field and office; perform related work.
• Enforce Parks Department standards for tree pruning, removal, planting and replacement. Assess work to be done by
contractors; engage in directly and supervise employees involved in professional forestry activities.
• Consult with engineers, developers and contractors on a regular basis throughout projects.
• Schedule and supervise field surveys and inspections to assess the conditions of trees for health, structure, insect and
• Compile and manage street tree planting contracts. Survey sites for planting potential and make decisions regarding
species selection and site design. Inspect and tag trees at local nurseries. Perform post-planting field inspections and
• Respond to citizen inquiries and maintain working relationships with community boards, community groups and officials
within and outside of the agency. Coordinate community-based greening efforts and lead tree stewardship workshops.
• Examine other agency and permit applications to assess impact on trees and landscapes and/or issue tree planting permits.
• Manage borough-wide tree database and track, monitor and produce reports on budgets, productivity, accomplishments and
program status updates.
1. A master’s degree from an accredited college or university, with a specialization in forestry or a related subject; or
2. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university, with a specialization in forestry or a related subject and
one year of full-time professional experience in forestry or arboricultural work; or
3. An associate degree from an accredited college or university, with a specialization in forestry or a related subject and three
years of full-time professional experience in forestry or arboricultural work; or
4. A satisfactory combination of education and/or experience that is equivalent to “1”, “2”, or “3” above. However, all
candidates must have at least an associate degree with a specialization in forestry or a related subject.
A Motor Vehicle driver’s license valid in the State of New York.
1. Candidate holds a permanent or non-competitive title.
2. Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
3. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Experience working with the public.
4. Ability to work independently.