Deadline: September 1, 2017
• Under supervision, advise architects, borough landscape designers, engineers and other construction professionals on best practices for the preservation and protection of trees on City parkland before, during and after park construction projects.
• Perform tree inventories, tree condition and hazard evaluations and tree damage assessment reports. Recommend tree and site damage mitigation applications as appropriate. Review proposed tree removals and associated replacement tree values prior to bid and during construction as the need arises. Review recommendations with Borough Forestry for approval and incorporation into design documents.
• Work with designers to formulate and optimize tree and site protection plans, including designation of staging areas, vehicular access routes, tree protection zones and any other specifications as appropriate to minimize impact of construction operations.
• Review contract documents, utility and grading plans as well as construction item quantities and specifications.
• Work with Resident Engineers and Landscape Construction Specialists to implement and enforce standards and guidelines relating to site work around trees included in the approved Site Protection Plans.
• Coordinate with the Engineers and Landscape Construction staff to ensure all pruning and arboriculture work in construction occurs under the supervision of a certified arborist and according to contract specifications.
• Work with other divisions of Parks, including Central Forestry & Horticulture, Borough Forestry Offices and the Natural
Resources Group to ensure agency standards for planting operations, tree health and tree protection practices are maintained.
• Represent Parks at community and other agency meetings as appropriate.
1. A Bachelor’s or a Master’s degree in Landscape Architecture from an accredited college and one year of full-time satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work; or
2. A valid New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect.
Note: A Motor Vehicle Driver License valid in New York State may be required for certain assignments. If required, this license must be maintained for the duration of the assignment.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
1. Certification as an Arborist by the International Society of Arboriculture; or Registered Consulting Arborist by the American Society of Consulting Arborists.
2. Three (3) years of experience in tree preservation and protection, pruning, installation and establishment, diagnosis and treatment of insect and disease problems and other related arboricultural services.
3. Strong knowledge of agency structure and divisions and/or government operations.
4. Excellent writing, supervisory, administrative and interpersonal skills.
5. Driver license valid in New York State.
How to Apply
Apply through Employee Self Service (ESS) under Recruiting Activities and search for Job ID# 287101
Include your ERN on all correspondence.
All other applicants:
Click here to apply: Capital Projects Arborist OR
Go to nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID# 287101